To become an outstanding professional in a dynamic, global business world, you will need the appropriate tools and skill set to generate value for your company or organization, have a leader’s mindset, be an effective team member, resourceful and innovative. In addition, you should be knowledgeable in the technical aspects of building and running an organization, enabled in the creation of new ventures and in putting your ideas to work strategically and creatively. This, in essence, is the profile of a USM commercial engineer. A professional recognized by his/her peers as possessing the technological competencies and interpersonal skills that assure the attainment of success, in Chile or in any other country in the world.
The profile of a Commercial Engineering graduate is configured by the Specific Competencies that students acquire as they train in each of the following domains:
- Direction, planning and managing, leading the work of human teams and the productive and service activities of a given organization, to facilitate the achievement of its objectives.
- Designing, administrating and managing the following areas sustainably and systematically: marketing, production, finance, human resources, operations, supply and distribution processes, research and innovation.
- Designing and implementing processes of continuous improvement in the organization as a whole, and/or in each of its areas.
- Resolving complex problems, communicating, projecting and making decisions that abide by organizational ethics and social responsibility, and are consistent with sustainable development.
- Identification and description of the dynamism of economic scenarios and contexts, both national and international.
- Analyzing the scope of the primary industrial and market variables that affect companies and organizations.
- Evaluating business opportunities, taking into account conditions of uncertainty and their impact on decision-making.
- Starting new ventures and innovating in business management, identifying opportunities that constitute value creation within the organization.
- Developing activities of research and own-initiative entrepreneurial ventures, third party initiatives or initiatives of established organizations, whether in the public or private sector.
- Management and administration employing information and communications technologies useful for the development of areas of commercial engineering.
The constitutive elements of the USM Commercial Engineer’s Professional Profile are: (1) the Transversal Competencies defined in the Institutional Education Model, (2) the functions and areas of responsibility proper to real-world performance of the profession, and (3) the satisfactory acquisition of the Specific Competencies which are the prerequisites for Graduation.
Based on the foregoing, the following is the Mission of a USM Commercial Engineer:
To exercise leadership in public or private sector organizations through the direction, planning and management of human resources, and the administration of material, financial, commercial and operational assets, based on the principles of continuous improvement, sustainable development and social responsibility in today’s knowledge society.
To analyze and evaluate investment and development projects within a globalized economic environment.
To articulate aspects of sustainability, innovation processes, strategic management tools and entrepreneurial initiatives within companies or organizations.
USM TRANSVERSAL COMPETENCIES
Along these same lines, the University’s Education Model cites seven Transversal Competencies that promote “the integrated formation of undergraduates and postgraduate students, who acquire a sound foundation in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, which prepares them to be relevant actors in the national and international spheres. USM trains autonomous individuals who are respectful of diversity, able to work collaboratively, create, share and apply knowledge, while adapting to the changing scenarios they will encounter in the exercise of their professional and scientific careers”.
This is the framework of USM’s emblematic competencies that permeate and constitute the substantive formation of each and every professional who is a graduate of this institution:
New Commercial Engineering Curriculum
The Department’s syllabus is carefully designed to equip our students with the Specific Competencies stated in our Graduate Profile, as well as the Transversal Competencies defined by the USM Institutional Education Model.
Review the Curriculum below:
2018 ENROLMENT FEES
CLP 83.000 per semester
CLP 166.000 per year
2018 ANNUAL FEE
CLP 4.250.000 annual
Other programs of the Commercial Engineering Departament:
MBA | Diplomas